The Ore Mountains are known for their high ridges and deep valleys, which offer ideal conditions for winter sports. Cross-country skiing in the Ore Mountains is a unique experience and a huge selection of trails for all ages and levels of difficulty provides plenty of variety. Most of the areas are snow-sure due to their high altitude, the best-known regions being Oberwiesenthal, Altenberg and Carlsfeld. In the large ski areas you can combine cross-country skiing with downhill skiing. The smaller cross-country skiing areas are interconnected, so you will find a large cross-country skiing network. Ideal conditions for classic cross-country skiing and skating are offered by the Rätzteich area, Seiffen and the Rübenau-Kühnhaide-Reitzenhain connection. Everywhere you can rent cross-country equipment and find numerous accommodation options, shelters and trail users.
Best cross-country skiing areas in the Ore Mountains include:
- Rübenau-Kühnhaide-Reitzenhain: ideally suited for beginners.
- Rützteich area: popular, mainly easy routes, especially for skaters
- Carlsfeld: one of the most snow-sure places in Saxony, with cross-country trails for every level of difficulty.
- Weitersglashütte: the only place that lies between Klingenthal / Mühlleithen and Johanngeorgenstadt directly on the Kammloipe.
- Oberwiesenthal: excellent location on the Fichtelberg, with around 50 km of groomed and well-signposted cross-country ski trails, very snow-sure, there are even snow-covered elite trails here.
- Schöneck: Start or finish of the Kammloipe, with a dream location on a flat high plateau and connections to other cross-country skiing areas.
- Schwarzenberg: snow-assured, large wooded areas, with a network of cross-country ski trails around 200 kilometres long.
- Wernesgrün and Stützengrün: groomed cross-country ski trails around the Kuhberg.
- Nassau: approx. 25 km cross-country skiing trail network with skating track and night trail