The beginnings of the town of Wetzlar go back to the 8th century, although the town name is first documented in 1141. The old trade route from Frankfurt to Cologne and Antwerp, the Hohe Strasse, passed through what is now modern Wetzlar, fording the Lahn River where later, in the 13th century, a stone bridge was built. Numerous finds testify to settlements during the Carolingian period.
The Hessian State Stud Dillenburg is a cultural and historical facility in the Lahn-Dill district. The facility is used by the State Riding and Driving School Dillenburg and a carriage museum. The Hessian State Riding and Driving School is a centre of attraction for people interested in riding and driving from all over the world.